Friday, February 12, 2010



This young gentleman came in with dyspnea(problems breathing), duh!! The top xray shows a huge pleural effusion with compressed lung. The post-thoracentesis (sucking fluid out of the chest) chest xray shows a decreased effusion, but the lung is still pretty collapsed. They brought this patient and his xrays the day after. I was surprised the guy looked as good as he did with his lung still the way it was. Also surprised they did not put a chest tube in when the lung did not re-expand.

Then they decided to re-tap his lung. Of course there techniques were non-sterile, but even more surprising is that they stuck a needle in his chest without doing an exam to see where the fluid ends/begins. Of course, it is hard to miss the fluid, but normally we examine the pt first. When I tried to explain this they just blew me off. Then I told the patient to let us know if he has any pain or problems breathing(they stuck the needle very deep and I was worried they would hit his lung). The doc responded, "if we tell our patients that, then they will all complain of pain". It was such a ridiculous statement, I couldn't respond. Oh well, inshala!!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. I think I'll show off some of your images at morning report. Glad you're doing well. I'm sitting in your office this week while mine gets renovated. Your coffee maker and fridge are treating me well.

    ReplyDelete