Monday, January 18, 2010


This unfortunate gentleman arrived at our hospital 10 days ago. He was a civilian hit by another civilian. He was initially taken to the Spanish hospital where they did internal fixation of his badly broken left arm and leg. He also had a 7 x 4 cm subdural hematoma with step-off fracture, but no evidence of herniation when he was transferred. He self extubated about 4 days ago and actually is doing well besides that his leg is necrotic (dead tissue). Today they did a BEDSIDE debriedement without pain medicaiton (that is until I suggested it). On the bottom pic you can see them cutting nonviable tissue. The top pic you can see his bone and plate. I have had a feeling for the past three days that his leg will need to come off. I know there are other options in the states, but I fear his infection will no longer be contained by the antibiotics and he will die of sepsis. We will see what they do. When I ask about amputation, they ignore me, I think because no one knows how to do them?

No comments:

Post a Comment