Monday, January 18, 2010

Gastroenteritis, are you kidding me?


This 65 year old man presented 14 hours after having constant nausea and vomiting. By the way he passed out last night also. They show me the EKG and want to treat him for gastroenteritis with a PPI (stomach acid suppressor) and antibiotics. This is one of those times you have take a few deep breaths before you start to speak. For those who don't look at EKGs, this is a classic EKG of someone having a heart attack. Despite my best attempts, they did not want to listen to what I had to say. Luckily, I invited an Italian cardiologist to come give a lecture that morning on EKGs (kinda ironic, huh). He walked into the discussion and backed me up. Thank God!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is crazy. Keep posting this stuff. It's fun to see what you're up to. If you haven't heard, Depaul is going to Haiti.

    ReplyDelete